Job Posting: Producer – Arts, Culture & Heritage
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable sales and federal laws.
Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
JOB TITLE: Producer – Arts, Culture & Heritage
REPORTS TO: Senior Producer – Arts, Culture & Heritage
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Full Time - Salary/Exempt (Grant-funded position)
Research, write, and produce local content for broadcast and new media, in conjunction with the Managing Producer.
The KSMQ Legacy Production Project is a statewide initiative dedicated to producing quality television and web content that celebrates the arts, cultural heritage, and history of Minnesota. Each MN public television station will be working concurrently on the Legacy Project, which is funded by the State of Minnesota for a period of two years. KSMQ's efforts will focus on the artistic, cultural, and historic contributions of southern Minnesota.
- Prepare scripts, proposals, promotions, web content, etc. as required and/or assigned.
- Perform story research and back grounding.
- Collaborate with Senior Producer and Production Manager to develop production plans
- Serve as lead team member during field and studio productions and conduct interviews.
- Oversee the creation and manipulation of all related graphics.
- Maintain a working knowledge of production tools and equipment specific to television and web production. Seek new learning opportunities to stay current.
- Attend meetings and workshops as assigned and/or required.
- Maintain and provide all applicable administrative record-keeping.
- Communicate and collaborate with key constituent groups, including community partners, other communication professionals, the KSMQ viewers, KSMQ Board of Directors, and PBS member stations and organizations.
- Assist Senior Producer with tracking and reporting responsibilities for Legacy Grant.
- Exhibit a strong commitment to the mission and goals of public broadcasting.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIRED (An equivalent amount of training, education and experience will be considered):
- High School Diploma or GED Required. Undergraduate degree in accredited journalism, communications, radio/television curriculum or related field preferred.
- Minimum three years broadcast production experience, or five years related experience, with increasing responsibility.
- Advanced knowledge of broadcast production techniques preferred in the format area(s) of: documentaries, music performances, narrative stories, interview programs, and live in-studio production. Must have strong editing skills – and be adept in use of all applicable production and editing equipment, specifically Mac-based for editing.
- Must be able to lift a maximum of 50#, and have the ability to perform physical functions as required.
- Must have the ability and flexibility to travel to ancillary studio and other locations as required.
- Must be willing to work a varied, flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
- Must possess a strong commitment to providing excellence in a finished product.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – verbal and written. Must have ability to organize and present ideas clearly and persuasively.
- Strong visual communications skills to develop and arrange images to tell a story.
- A strong detail orientation to focus on both technical and aesthetic details.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to meet deadlines and timelines as required.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and also to work successfully in a team environment.
- Must be able to handle stress in an appropriate manner, and be able to manage projects in a manner that is both collegial and productive.
- Working knowledge of public television broadcast, and web standards and regulations.
- Strong PC and MAC computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, Windows XP, Excel, Photoshop, and Outlook.