KSMQ Managing Editor
KSMQ Public Television, the PBS television station serving southeastern Minnesota and northeastern Iowa, seeks a Managing Editor to oversee our growing portfolio of locally produced programming. The successful candidate will have significant editorial experience in broadcast media and is able to forge strong relationships with public service groups and newsmakers. This person will identify issues of interest within the region, and create programming to inform these topics. Position is responsible for marketing to external audiences through in-person and multimedia channels. Works with limited supervision and is willing to travel throughout the KSMQ viewing area. Media production and on-camera host experience required, non-profit experience a bonus. Send letter of interest, current resume and three references to:
2000 Eighth Ave. NW
Austin, MN 55912
No phone calls or emails please.
Reports to: Production Manager
FLSA Classification: Full Time - Salary/Exempt
Shoot, edit, and direct television content for broadcast and web distribution for KSMQ.
- Primarily responsible for performing field production duties including videography, lighting, and audio recording.
- Serve as a videographer working under the direction of a producer and/or director.
- Act as director on field shoots, including the coordination of other crewmembers.
- Responsible for the visual interpretation of content in consultation with producing staff.
- Perform non-linear (Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere) editing of content as well as other postproduction duties as assigned.
- Perform still photography.
- Perform studio production duties as needed, including directing, audio, lighting, floor management, camera operation and other related functions.
- Participate in cleaning, organizing and maintaining the production facilities.
- Maintain a working knowledge of production tools and equipment specific to television and web production. Seek new learning opportunities to stay current.
- Attend meetings and workshops as assigned and/or required.
- Communicate and collaborate with other communication professionals and with community partners and viewers, and always represent KSMQ in a positive manner.
- Exhibit a strong commitment to the mission and goals of public broadcasting.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Required (An equivalent amount of training, education and experience will be considered):
- High School Diploma or GED Required. Undergraduate degree in accredited journalism, communications, radio/television curriculum or related field is preferred.
- Minimum two years broadcast production experience, or three years related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of broadcast production techniques preferred, with a demonstrated mastery of broadcast production and post-production techniques, including multi- and single-camera production, studio and location production, non-linear editing (Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere), basic compositing, and digital compression.
- Demonstrable understanding of aesthetic principles of television, including visual composition, graphical design, audio composition, and temporal pacing.
- Must be able to lift a maximum of 50#, and have the ability to perform physical functions as required.
- Must have the ability and flexibility to travel to ancillary studio and other locations as required.
- Must be willing to work a varied, flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
- Must possess a strong commitment to providing excellence in a finished product.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – verbal and written. Must have ability to organize and present ideas clearly and persuasively.
- Strong visual communications skills to develop and arrange images to tell a story.
- A strong detail orientation to focus on both technical and aesthetic details.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to meet deadlines and timelines as required.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and also to work successfully in a team environment.
- Must be able to handle stress in an appropriate manner, and be able to manage projects in a manner that is both collegial and productive.
- Working knowledge of public television broadcast, and web standards and regulations
- Strong PC and MAC computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, Windows XP, Excel, Photoshop, and Outlook.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable sales and federal laws.
Certain job functions described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
Job Description: Marketing Manager—Operations
The responsibility of the Marketing Manager—Operations is to develop and implement strategies to promote KSMQ programming and services to the public through website, social media, print advertising, and radio and television promotions; works with Management and Producers to develop content; oversees all marketing, advertising, and promotional activities.
Update and maintain website to provide the most recent information on past, current, and future KSMQ productions; work with Management and Producers to develops content to promote KSMQ’s identity and mission to the public.
Engage the public through other forms of social media to increase awareness of KSMQ’s productions.
Propose, develop and manage advertising efforts, including newspapers, magazines, radio, and television.
Track and compile viewer/user data; report data as required by FCC, PBS, and various funding sources.
Propose and manage public events designed to build relationships between the public and KSMQ.
Work with Producers and the CEO to create and distribute press releases that inform media outlets about KSMQ’s productions.
Keep abreast of developments and innovations related to digital media and online distribution; apply knowledge to KSMQ’s website.
Handle incoming requests from the public and media outlets for information and/or media related to KSMQ Productions.
Other duties as assigned.
Reports to Operations Manager.
Demonstrated mastery of website creation, development and maintenance; proven fluency with Adobe Creative Suite and a working knowledge of Bento web software are preferred.
Proven success engaging the public through social media, specifically Facebook and Twitter; superior knowledge of other social media applications is also important.
Strong graphic design skills used for the creation of web pages, print advertisements, flyers, posters and other collateral materials.
Ability to write effective copy for website, social media, and other media; fluency with Microsoft Office.
Ability to communicate effectively with members of the public, producing partners, production staff, and Management.
Strong time-management skills with a proven ability to focus on priorities, solve problems, juggle multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems.
Enthusiastic, positive, team-oriented, and organized; able to formulate an effective media messages based on data provided by Management and/or Producers.
Knowledge of broadcast television production and distribution.
Commitment to the mission and goals of public broadcasting.
In order to perform the essential function of this position, you must be able to sit, walk, stand, use your hands, reach, talk, and hear.
Lift or exert energy up to 10 pounds 75% of the time and up to 25 pounds 25% of the time.
Close vision, distance or clear vision at 20 ft. or more and the ability to observe an area that can be seen to move up and down or left and right.
Willingness to “own” the job and make it a symbol of pride for oneself and for KSMQ in general.
Bachelor’s degree in Digital Media or Communications and five years experience in work related to the described duties OR Associate Degree in Digital Media or Communications and seven years of experience in work related to the described duties
KSMQ Public Service Media, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F. Qualified veterans, women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.